I’ve been working on a recipe for some decent tasting, healthy energy bars that I can pack up and take on the bike with me. I think these pretty much hit the spot. I’ll be honest. It isn’t quite a taste-sensation; but it does the job and that is – keep me well fuelled on big rides without giving me a bad stomach.
They’re stupidly easy to make and aren’t too messy for when you’re riding. Best of all it’s only a few ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need;
- 200g banana
- 100g oats
- 100g fruit n’ fibre
- 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 9×9” baking dish or similar
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 350f, Gas Mark 4.
- Chop up the banana and whack it in a food processor. Pulse until it’s all runny and there are no chunks left.
- Add 1tsp vanilla extract and the salt and cinnamon. Pulse again to mix it all up.
- In a large bowl mix the fruit n fibre with the oats. I like to grab it and crush it all up a bit too.
- Pour the banana into the bowl and mix well.
- Lightly grease the baking dish with olive oil.
- Place everything in the baking dish and spread evenly to the edges.
- Bake for around 30 minutes. Until the edges and top begin to crisp. It might take longer than you think.
- Let it cool, sprinkle with a little more cinnamon then divide into 10.
You could use anything for the filling. I just love fruit n fibre to be honest. And it comes with banana, nuts, and raisins out of the box!